Wednesday, January 4, 2012

My first book review: Spidergirl-Girl Legacy

 I had to read this Graphic novel for a book report at school, so I decided to post the report for my first review =)

Back cover summary:
"Her name is May "Mayday" Parker, and she's determined to follow in her father's footsteps, no matter where they lead-- up walls, across ceilings, over moving vehicles-- while fighting enemies Peter Parker thought he defeated long ago.
"Spider-Girl is Marvel's most popular female character, with the longest running title of any of the House's heroines--ever! Don't miss her earliest adventures as she discovers for herself that with great power, there must also come great responsibility."


This book was good reading material for a rainy Saturday. I breezed through it in a couple of hours, but it ended too abruptly and made you want more. Personally though, each ‘Chapter’ (comic book) kept repeating the same kind of stuff. “May, you can’t be Spider-Girl… It’s too dangerous….” Blah, blah, blah. I also thought the scope was a little bad too, because each comic tried to dive too deep and go into too much detail each time. I did not like it as much as I thought I would.

Also, all the dialogue/thought boxes would use context as if someone was talking to you and you were May, so I had to reread some parts to understand what they were talking about. The book had a generally kind of depressing and creepy mood about it. I would, however, read more in the series because I am dying to know what happens next. I guess that’s the magic of comic books; they keep you coming back for more because you want to know what happens next to the character or characters.

The story also doesn’t develop much at all before May discovers her dad is formerly Spider-Man, and she sneaks out that night and ends up beating a super-villain. Is that really what you would do if you just discovered you had superpowers? Is that character’s actions really believable (then again, comics generally aren’t meant to be really believable)? Comics are not usually my cup of tea (that would be novels) but I do like the benefits of being able to have more than one person talking at once and to be able to convey millions of words with one panel. Comics are cool that way.

Overall, this book was pretty good, but I still like regular books better. I will search for the sequel of this book though!

1 comment: